Valentine’s race, training, injection and a night out on the town

Friday was the big day for my injection shot. I think I would have been more nervous if I had felt better – Thursday, I went to the doctor and found out I have bronchitis. Been on antibiotics and an inhaler ever since. Because of how crappy I was feeling, I wasn’t really feeling myself and kind of had an “I don’t care attitude.”

Yes, I was nervous, but not as nervous as I thought I would be. Actually, to be honest, I think my hubby was a little more nervous than I was. Maybe.

I really did want him to come in the room and stay with me during the procedure, but he wasn’t allowed to. He was able to come in for a quick briefing with the nurse before the doctor came in to do the injection. I had him snap a couple of pics for me:

Because I was sick, the nurse had to take my temperature. If I would have been running a fever, I wouldn’t have been able to get the injection. My temp was actually below normal, which was fantastic.

As soon as everything was set up, Al was escorted back to the waiting room and the doctor and nurse came in and everything was a go. I had to lay face down on the table with my forehead resting on a rolled up towel. My left arm was tucked up beside me and my right arm was up and over my head resting on the table – that was the only comfortable position. I had to try and find as comfortable position as possible because I wasn’t supposed to move at all – or barely – during the procedure. The doctor injected numbing medication first, then some contrast dye to make sure the medicine – a steroid shot of some kind – was going in the right area. She has to inject a little more numbing stuff because I could kind of feel what was going on. I didn’t realize at first how critical it was to lay as perfectly still as possible until I kind of moved my left arm and the doctor sternly said, “If you need to move, tell me first, I am right by your spinal cord. You need to be as still as possible.” I don’t think I moved after that.

As far as the injection actually hurting, it wasn’t THAT bad. It was worse trying to lay that still, while having my nose turn into a complete faucet, dripping all over the table. GROSS! Luckily, I had taken my cough medicine and was sucking on a cough drop during the procedure or that could have been REALLY bad.

All and all, I am – so far – happy with the results of the injection. I was told I might not feel the full effects for up to two weeks. If that’s the case, its going to be fantastic. I have already been able to sleep longer than two minutes on my right side and I can actually snap my bra without as much pain as I did a few days okay. So that’s good news and it makes me feel better about everything.

I wish I could say the same for the neck brace. I haven’t been wearing it as much as I probably should be, but it’s because it makes me – for some strange reason – really nauseous when I do. I can only handle on for about 30 minutes. After that, I just feel really sick to my stomach and my back actually hurts – well, spine area. I am going to talk to the physical therapist about it on Wednesday, which is when my next appointment is scheduled for. I am looking forward to it.


On Saturday, my hubby participated in the Twin Cities in Motion Valentine’s Day TC 5K. Unfortunately, he ran the race by himself, which made me extremely sad, because this is the ONLY race we actually run together – as in side by side. Otherwise, he is too fast for me! He did a great job, though, and I am so happy for him. Here’s a couple of pics:

I had to put my pouty face on because I was so sad I couldn’t run. And it wasn’t because of the herniated discs in my neck, it was because of my stupid bronchitis! Last year when we ran this race, we each put the “taken” signs on our back. This year, Al, obviously, put a taken sign on his back and then we added an extra sign:

Like I said earlier, Al did great. It was not an officially-timed race, but according to Al’s Nike+ Watch, he finished in about 25 minutes. And for being as cold as it was, along with a “sardine” start and some slippery spots, Al was pretty happy with his time, as was I.

That’s my orange man!


Another reason we were in the Twin Cities this past weekend was to go see a play at Chanhassen Dinner Theatre. We saw, “Fiddler on the Roof,” which was AMAZING!

Both Al and I now want to watch the movie again to see the differences between the movie and the play. It really was spectacular. The acting was incredible, as well as the singing. The actor who portrayed Tevye, Keith Rice, really stole the show. He was phenomenal. If you ever get a chance to see it, I highly recommend it.

This was taken at our hotel before the show. This was probably the most normal I have felt since last Sunday. As of today, Monday, February 10, I am still not feeling 100 percent, but I am definitely on the mend and on the upswing of this stupid cold! THANK GOD!


Training….AARGH! Obviously, with everything that is going on with my herniated discs and also with having bronchitis, my training for our upcoming half-marathon on May 10 is at a standstill. AND……I am getting really anxious, nervous and freaked out by it. There is less than three months before the race……………..

I need to start training.

I need to start running.


Remember, you can find me on Facebook here and here and you can find me on Instagram, here. Would love to have you follow me!

2 thoughts on “Valentine’s race, training, injection and a night out on the town

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s