My 5:30 a.m. workout…alone

The alarm went off at 5 a.m. this morning, which really isn’t that bad. It goes off that early several times a week. But this time it was going off so I could do my workout.

I had originally planned on meeting Kristy, my student trainer, at 5:30 p.m. today, but then remembered I was going to the Twin Cities tonight. Because my schedule was kind of hectic today, I also realized that the only way I would get in a workout was to do it early this morning. I didn’t expect Kristy to meet me that early. My plan was to get up at 5 a.m., have my breakfast and just take time to wake up and then exercise at 5:30 a.m. I got up just fine…didn’t even hit the snooze button once. Like I said, 5 a.m. isn’t that early to me. I made my breakfast – yogurt, cereal, muffin top – and then meandered into the computer room (like I do every morning!). Watching the clock, I started telling myself that I had to get ready, 5:30 was approaching quickly and I was gonna do this – by myself. No trainer. Nobody. All me. No coach. Alone.

I knew I could do it, but there was just something keeping my tush sitting on that dang computer chair. I know that if I made plans to meet Kristy, I would have been off that chair in no time at all. Or, if I would have been meeting anyone else, I would have never given it a second thought and I would never, ever consider canceling or being late. Never. So what makes it so different doing it myself? What is it about working out alone? Why did it take me an extra 15 minutes to get started? Why couldn’t I just move my lazy bones down the stairs and do it….when I was suppose to. Not five, 10 or 15 minutes late, but at the time I had planned?

Well, I did eventually get my tush down the stairs to do my workout. But at 5:45 a.m. Not 5:30 a.m. like I planned. This meant that the rest of morning would have to be rushed because I had a meeting to get to at 8 a.m. But, I did everything in my program that Kristy had e-mailed me the night before. It went well. Really, it did. I may not have done everything completely correct, like the medicine ball chop and lifts. I actually looked them up online before trying to do them. Not sure why really, I did know what I was doing. But I didn’t have my motivator there telling me what to do next. She wasn’t there standing by my side. She’s kind of like my security blanket, you know? My trainer, my Kristy, wasn’t there telling me to breath or that I was doing a good job. It’s nice to have her there and I wish she could be at all my workouts. I truly do.

But as I continued through my workout, I kept repeating the words that Kristy wrote in her e-mail to me yesterday, "I believe in you." I don’t know if she realizes the impact those four little words had on me, but they did. They got me through my workout and motivated me to do the best I could…even though I was by myself.

I made it through my entire workout, all one hour and 15 minutes of it and best of all, I made it to my 8 a.m. meeting right on time!

One thought on “My 5:30 a.m. workout…alone

  1. Celeste your awesome I’m so glad that you did you workout today without me. It shows you what you can do and that you are dedicated to a healthy lifestyle of working out and being fit. I am so touched that my words of incouragement helped you along, and i do believe in you, you are very capable of doing all the exercises and you do them well. Have fun tonight seeing Grease.. im jealous! See you soon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s