When I started Weight Watchers in November of last year, I would have never dreamed of being where I am right now – one pound away from my goal! As of this morning, when I weighed in at my meeting, my total weight loss was at 34.2 pounds. I can’t believe I only have ONE MORE POUND to go. That’s just pure craziness. Seriously.
Back in November, my starting weight was 190.2 pounds…that was just 10 pounds shy of 200 POUNDS! Are you kidding me? What the heck was I thinking? Obviously, I wasn’t. I was close to that weight once before…when I was nine months pregnant with my son. He came out weighing 9-pounds, 3-ounces.
At any rate, I have thoroughly enjoyed this journey and only hope it will continue. I realize that reaching my goal is only half the battle. Now, comes the hardest part of all – maintaining this weight, continuing to eat healthy and keeping up with somewhat of an exercise program. I still lack in that area, but it’s better…way better.
Through all of this – the last eight-plus months – there have been many things I have learned and many things that have changed. Here is just a glimpse:
• You can live without using butter – ever. I do, on occasion, use I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray. Butter-flavored Pam non-stick spray also rules.
• Trying new foods is fun. I now love blueberries, plums, pluots, soy burgers, eggplant, summer squash, sweet potatoes and the original Fiber One cereal.
• Fruits and veggies make up a large portion of my daily food intake.
• I am satisfied with three to five ounces of meat…chicken, steak, pork, hamburger, turkey, etc.
• I used to wear a size 14 or 16 pants. Now, most of my clothes are a size 10. I even have pants that are size 8 and they are not tight.
• My bra is two sizes smaller. I haven’t worn this size since before my son was born…He will be 16 next month!
• I can actually run a whole mile – yes, I know it’s only ONE mile, but I could barely run a tenth of a mile without huffin’ and puffin’ before I started my journey.
• I can have my cake and eat it, too. And McDonald’s ice cream cones are the bomb. I eat one at least once a week.
• For once in my life, I am not dieting. I am not on a diet. I don’t have an end date. This is my life. I eat real food…every single day. I don’t drink shakes. I don’t take pills. I don’t rely on prepackaged meals.
• I love to weigh and measure my food. I have three sets of plastic measuring cups, one set of glass measuring cups (for liquids), three (or four) sets of measuring spoons. And I have a very cool Weight Watchers food scale.
• I eat pasta. It is a light pasta I order online at http://www.fibergourmet.com. I only eat two ounces, which is one cup of cooked pasta. And we now rarely put meat in our spaghetti sauce. We use black olives instead.
• I eat bread. My favorite is Sara Lee 45-calorie wheat bread or Arnold’s Sandwich Thins. They ROCK!
• I eat chocolate. Lots of chocolate. My favorite is Green and Black’s Organic…the individually wrapped pieces of dark chocolate. YUMMY!
• I drink wine. Red wine…Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Sangiovese, Merlot, Petite Sirah and the list goes on. I often will drink a whole bottle on a Saturday night!
• AND, once I start exercising, I do actually like it. Maybe even love it.
If anyone out there who reads this has any questions, please feel free to ask. I love to talk about my new found love of healthy eating and all the little tips and tricks I have learned about the last eight months. Either leave a comment or feel free to send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best wishes to anyone who wants to jump on board and ride the healthy train of living. It is truly amazing!